20 great accounting topics for your research paper
- Auditing collusion. This topic can cover auditing in general or a specific area of auditing depending on the expertise you have and the scope of your particular essay.
- Earnings management
- Cash flow. How has this changed with time?
- The use of internet based accountants
- Offshore accounting
- History of accounting
- The best accounting practices
- Becoming a certified accountant
- Historical accounting practices
- Accounting and modern technology
- Accounting software
- Accounting ethics
- Tax. You can write about how organizations reduce the taxes they have to pay or how individuals might pay more than they need because they don’t understand the tax code.
- Financial markets. You can write about commodities or stocks. You can write about the role played by financial markets in the bigger global economy. You can write about how few people understand this and why. Write about what issues this raises and what can be done about it.
- Accounting information systems. Write about the rapid flow of information and what it does for modern accountants.
- Managerial accounting. How can managers use accounting information to make better decisions?
- Personal finances. What benefits can individuals get from hiring personal accountants? Is it better overall?
- Debt management. This is a serious issue and what can be done to fix it for the future and stop problems before they happen?
- What influence does the culture or an organization have on accounting?
- What influence does culture of an organization have on the accounting procedures it uses?
When you do sit down to write your final paper there are a few stylistic components and format components about which you should know:
- When you write your research paper make sure to use past tense unless you are referring to an established fact.
- Organize one idea for each major paragraph. If you have four main ideas you want to present then you will need four main paragraphs in the body of your essay.
- Only present background information as it is necessary. Make sure all of the background information you present is needed to support the position you are taking.
- State your hypothesis in a clear and concise manner.
- Make sure to check your spelling and word choice.
Chances are that you will have to format the paper in APA and include the following sections:
- Cover page
- Literature review
Managerial accounting is one of the many branches of accounting. It deals with the collection and use of accounting information by managers within organizations. With this information managers make calculated decisions that allow better use of limited resources thereby optimizing management and control functions.
A managerial accounting term paper requires students to display a thorough understanding of the topic in general or one of its sub divisions. Since a managerial accounting term paper is a technical topic, students are expected to show numerical workings, calculations and representations to help explain their chosen area.
In the introductory paragraph, you should brief the reader on the reason for choosing this topic and sub division. Tell them your intent of writing a managerial accounting term paper and what you expect to achieve out of it. This paragraph should hold your thesis statement which portrays your stance or argument regarding the topic or one of its divisions. For example, if you are writing on the importance of one of managerial accounting’s tools, your thesis statement can be:
“the cost-benefit analysis approach to managerial decision making has a 100% success rate”
You could also conduct a comparative study between managerial accounting and financial accounting. Discuss how it differs in theory and real life applications. This will require you to get into the fundamental workings of each field and explore its teachings.
Explaining the significance and usage of the managerial aspect of accounting highlights its importance in the field. Show readers that accounting is not just about adding cost figures and calculating the balancing item, in-fact it is a critical tool that helps managers make important decisions regarding project appraisal, expansion and new product development. It helps managers weigh a number of different projects and ultimately opt for the profitable one.
Remember that in each of the body paragraphs you will have to compile your data and present it in light of the thesis statement. It is in these paragraphs that you will support your thesis statement by presenting relevant information from reliable sources. Presenting an analysis of your findings is equally importance, since the research has to have some meaning to it.
For the readers who are not familiar with the terminologies and workings of managerial accounting, you can create a hypothetical situation or a small case that explains the usage and steps of a managerial accounting function.
This will reflect well on your understanding of the subject and create a positive impression on your examiner.
Posted by Janele Frederick | in Term Papers | 1 Comment »