Freshmen are students who plan to enter UNCG directly from high school or adult students who have never attended college.
About the freshman class
- Here is the profile of UNCG's average admitted freshman (Fall 2017)*:
- Average HS GPA: 3.83 (weighted)
- SAT middle 50% ranges: 520-600 critical reading 510-580 math
- Average ACT: 23
- UNCG received 8,524 freshman applications for the Fall 2017 semester; 78 percent of these applicants were admitted.
- The Fall 2017 freshman class included 2,768 students.
*Please note that these are averages, and many admitted students will have higher or lower profiles.
Freshman requirements and application information
Admission to UNCG for traditional freshmen is competitive based on a combination of your overall high school and/or college record as well as SAT or ACT scores. In addition, in-state and out-of-state applicants must meet the minimum high school course requirements.
Freshman admission is competitive, and it is in the student's best interest to start this process in the fall of senior year. Please visit Instructions and Deadlines for more information.
Students attending an Early College High School or taking AP or IB courses should click the link(s) for more information.
International students should visit the International Programs Center for additional requirements.
Students interested in joining the Lloyd International Honors College should visit honorscollege.uncg.edu to learn more about that admission process.
High school seniors with superior academic credentials may want to supplement their high school curriculum with courses at UNCG. To determine if you are eligible to enroll as a visiting student, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at 336.334.5243.
Once you have been admitted, you can follow the steps listed in SpartanLink. This will guide you through all the steps you need to complete to enroll at UNCG.
Freshman students, we encourage you to...
Create your SpartanLink account
We want to let you know about the great things happening here. When you sign up for SpartanLink, we’ll mail you information about UNCG and invitations to campus events. SpartanLink also gives you access to our online application and content based on your interests.
Plan your campus visit
UNCG is known for its beautiful campus and outstanding facilities. But don't just take our word for it - visit! We offer daily tours, open houses, and other events for prospective students.
Watch Our Video
Student Life at UNCG: Here's a look at what life is like after class at UNCG.
Watch Our Video
Catch the Spartan spirit! Learn about school pride from UNCG students and our men’s basketball coach, Wes Miller.
- New students may apply online.
- Undergraduate international students must apply using the International Student Application.
- Co-admissions students must complete a special application process when they begin community college coursework.
- Former students who have been absent for two consecutive semesters or fewer (excluding summer) can log into UNCGenie to register for courses.
- Former students who have been absent for more than two consecutive semesters (excluding summer) must reapply for admission to the university.
- If you are a former student who has been suspended or dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons, you must reapply.
Please be aware that several of our programs require a secondary admissions process to the particular program.
Be sure to check our application deadlines to make sure you have everything complete on time. We often need additional information from applicants after the initial review of their applications due to incomplete and/or omitted information. All requested information must be received by our posted deadlines. Our application process typically takes four to six weeks once all materials are received by our office, and applying too close to the deadline is strongly discouraged due to these time constraints.
All applicants must submit:
- Application and fee or fee waiver (Note: UNCG accepts fee waivers for first time students from SAT (College Board or Counselor), ACT, and NACAC. We do not participate in the CFNC Free Application Week.)
- Official high school transcript, GED scores or adult high school diploma, if applicable (not required for 2Plus or second-degree seeking applicants)
- Official scores from the SAT or ACT (required for freshmen and transfers with fewer than 24 college transfer hours). Request that official scores be forwarded to UNCG directly from the testing agency.
- UNCG's SAT school code is 5913.
- UNCG's ACT school code is 3166.
- Official college transcripts from any post-secondary institution(s) attended, even those granting summer, extension, developmental, and technical credit.
- International students should visit the International Programs Center for additional requirements.
Watch Our Video
What it means to be a Spartan: Find out from the experts – our students!
Watch Our Video
Student Life at UNCG: Here’s a look at what life is like after class at UNCG.